Saturday, January 8, 2011

Fierce Creatures

Allow me to immediately start off by apologizing for the lack of posts in the past couple of weeks. The holidays proved to be much busier than I expected, and my time was limited. Unfortunately, I didn't get to do a lot of things with the blog that I would've liked to have done, which I am disappointed about, but so is life.  Yet now that I have time again, I feel it's time to keep on writing and help people with what they are looking for...new music.  So with that said, I would like to introduce you to a band by the name of Fierce Creatures from Fresno, CA.  In July of 2010, the large 7-person group released their debut EP entitled I Mostri Feroci, a 5 track collection full of brilliant layers and musical diversity; a thoughtful representation of the art-rock they set out to produce.  Fierce Creatures isn't afraid to make their songs full and consuming, many of them include a strata of guitars alongside mandolins, bells, and harmonicas.  Many of these sounds come from a classic rock influence, an example of which can be seen in "Phantom Athletes", which includes a riff much similar to a late '60s Rolling Stones composition. When you tie all of these aspects together, you get a well put together sonic journey...25 minutes of Fierce Creatures putting their aspirations on display.  The band states that they want to create songs of "timeless nature", a feeling that you get when you wear "an old sweater you pull from the closet when winter strikes"....so let's hope they continue their respectable goal with their album release later in 2011 (holy shit, I'm still not used to the '11 tag, what happened to 2010!?!), something I very much look forward to listening to.  Below I've posted their single from I Mostri Feroci called "Satan Is a Vampire", which includes an infectious introductory yell that reminds me of "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire.  Hit it upppp.

 Satan Is a Vampire

Hope ya'll dig it, and if you want more, be sure to check out their MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment